Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pyramid

Back to the track this morning for my weekly speedwork. Today called for a Pyramid workout of: 400m, 800m, 1200m, 1200m, 800m, 400m.

I got to the track around 7:15am and the temperature was in the mid 70's. It was cloudy for the first half of the workout so the first few intervals felt pretty good. The first interval felt especially nice... fast but not too hard.

As I increased distance, I was supposed to slow the pace a bit. Then pick the pace back up as the distances got shorter again.


Going up the pyramid wasn't that bad, but coming down was rough. I didn't have to run as far, but I would start breathing heavier earlier and earlier as the intervals went on. The total effort of the workout was adding up.

Then the sun came out. Ugh.

The distances got shorter but I had to pick up the pace and I was struggling to hit my goals. I actually started my last interval and stopped about 100m in because it felt horrible. I was going to call it a day but decided to take 2 more minutes of recovery time and try again. The second attempt felt much better but was still 5 seconds slower than my goal pace. I really wanted to stop when I abandoned that last interval, but I'm glad I got one last, good effort in. After all, I couldn't walk away with a lopsided pyramid!

Wednesday
Goal For The Day: Speedwork
Distance: 5.00 Miles.
Time: 400m (1:10), 800m (2:45), 1200m (4:19), 1200m (4:19), 800m (2:46), 400m (1:15).
Route: Eureka H.S. Track
Conditions: 75 degrees. 7:15AM.

Notes: 1 Mile warm-up and 1 Mile cool-down. Goals were: 400's in 1:10, 800's in 2:45, 1200's in 4:20. Going up was easy. Coming down was uncomfortable. There weren't nearly as many high school kids out today. I think the football group was gone but the cross country team is practicing. There's one kid that just looks like a good runner. His stride looks effortless. It made my last two intervals feel clumsy.

Daily Miles: 5.00 Miles.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 72.11 Miles.
  Bike - 42.51 Miles.
  Swim - 2,700+ meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment