Sunday, July 17, 2011

100 Mile Blog and Ready to Build

Today was the last day of the 'Base Mileage' Phase of my training schedule. My Long Run was 8 miles this morning and I faced the heat to close out my week of training. Here's the breakdown for the rest of the schedule:

Build Phase 1 (3 weeks + 1 recovery week)
Build Phase 2 (3 weeks + 1 recovery week)
Peak Phase 1 (3 weeks + 1 recovery week)
Peak Phase 2 (1 week of peak mileage)
Taper Phase (2 weeks)
Race Week

It's nice to have the Base Phase behind me but now the mileage will start adding up. Today I broke the 100 Mile mark for this blog and I have hundreds to go before the marathon.

The week ahead is forecasted with a high of at least 100 degrees every day so even my morning runs will be in the 80's. I'm just trying to remind myself that running in the heat now will make running in New York in November feel easy. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right?

After my run, I took a quick shower to cool off but then turned right around and went back out with Liz. She's borrowing my friend's road bike (thanks, Sharon) and we drove back to Rte. 66 to take the bikes for a short ride. Liz has a hybrid bike that has treated her well but she's getting more serious about her riding and is thinking about upgrading to a road bike. She hasn't really ridden a road bike before so she took my friend's bike out to see if she liked it. It was also her first trial run at wearing clips on her pedals.


It was a short experiment because of the heat, but it went well and I have a feeling there's a road bike in Liz's future soon.

The rest of the day has involved hiding from the heat. I made a banana shake with some cookies 'n' cream protein supplement and sat down to watch the Women's World Cup Final. It was the best game of soccer I've ever watched even though the U.S. lost. The Ironman Championship is on the DVR so it'll be more inspirational sports television tonight!


Sunday
Goal For The Day: Long Run
Distance: 8.01 Miles.
Time: 1:01:02. 7:37 Avg. (7:23, 7:08, 7:16, 7:15, 7:23, 7:30, 7:58, 9:04)
Route: To Rte 66 Park/1 Lap/Home.
Conditions: 80 degrees at the start. 7:45AM.

Surprise Goal For The Day: Bike Ride w/ Liz
Distance: 5.17 Miles.
Time: 27:13. 11.4mph avg.
Route: Route 66 State Park.
Conditions: 85 degrees.

Notes: The run went well. 80 degrees isn't horribly hot but the heat wave we're in has me psyched out. I took it easy and didn't push the pace. I'm trying to be smarter about not pushing my Long Runs too hard. I even stopped to walk part of the hill on Central (hence the 9min pace for the last mile). The bike ride was much more comfortable. It's nice when you create your own breeze!

Daily Miles: Run - 8.01 Miles. Bike - 5.17 Miles.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 105.22 Miles.
  Bike - 67.68 Miles.
  Swim - 3,700+ meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment