Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dripping with Dedication

Continuing my post-race self-analysis:

I usually train for a marathon for 4 months or more. That's a long time to focus on a goal. And the longer I go in my training, the more running I'm doing. The distances get longer and it's more of a time commitment. Usually, that means it gets easier for me to talk myself out of going for a run as I get near the end of my training.

I've run enough marathons by now that I know what it takes to finish the race. And I never stop running even if I'm not technically "in training". So, I tend to use my experience to rationalize slacking off every now and then late in my training.

Then I actually run the marathon.

Without fail, I replay the race in my head (see yesterday's post) and find things I could have done better. I also look back on my training and think about how much better I could have prepared. I always walk away from a marathon wanting to get right back into it. I think, "Okay... when's the next race? Because this time I'll do that little bit of extra work and meet my goal for sure."

But it's not just about chasing a goal. Running the race also reminds me how fun this is. Thinking of running as 'training' can sap some of the fun out of it. Running a race brings some of the excitement back to it.

After Sunday's tri, I'm definitely feeling that renewed sense of excitement and renewed focus on my goal. The timing couldn't have been better because the weather is working against me this week. Today was the kind of day that makes 4 miles feel much harder than they normally would.

The high today was over 100 degrees with a heat index near 115. So when I left the house at 7:15 this morning, 83 degrees almost felt cool... almost. It's the stupid humidity that gets you. Today's run reminded me of the scene from "The Abyss" where Ed Harris puts on the diving suit that lets him breathe liquid.


It was like trying to run and eat warm soup at the same time. I'm not a fan of running when the air is so thick you can chew it so I was glad to still be on my post-race high. Otherwise, who knows if I would have tried to wiggle my way out of this morning's run.

Between the occasional race and updating this blog, I'm hoping to be more consistent training for New York than I ever have been in the past.

Tuesday
Goal For The Day: Middle Distance
Distance: 4.00 Miles.
Time: 29:49. 7:27 Avg. (7:28, 7:08, 7:20, 7:49).
Route: Old Town Eureka Loop.
Conditions: 83 degrees/HUMID. 7:15AM.

Notes: Today's run was the same distance as the run portion of the tri. It was a good indication of how much the big hills and humidity slow me down. It was also a good indication of how well the hills of Eureka prepare me for running on flat race courses. Today was much slower than after swimming and biking on Sunday. Weird. Besides my renewed motivation, it helped that I thought this was the week I stepped up my Middle Distance to 6 miles... 4 miles sounded way better in this heat. Bonus!

Daily Miles: 4.00 Miles.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 84.11 Miles.
  Bike - 62.51 Miles.
  Swim - 3,700+ meters.

1 comment:

  1. I had a 7 mile pace run this morning. When I left the house at 5:30 this morning, I didn't think it felt almost cool. It was hot and the humidity was like running through soup. Glad to see the rain rolling in. Here's hoping tomorrow is cooler.

    ReplyDelete