Friday, July 22, 2011

The Air Cranked Up And The Windows Rolled Down

Earlier this week, I talked about how little I like running 400 meter repeats. I know I'm getting a lot out of the workout, but it's not the most fun part of my training schedule. Keeping with the 'glass half full' theme, there are some benefits to running Bannister Repeats.

On a day like today, I'm hot, running hard, and by the end of the workout I'm exhausted and drenched in sweat. The great thing about working that hard is that when you're finished, just sitting still suddenly feels like heaven. I Love showering after a long run and then taking a nap on the floor. I Love how good it feels to just be still after forcing yourself to move for so long. I Love how easy it is to breathe after making your heart and lungs work so hard.

Eureka's track is just over two miles from my house and I've been driving to and from my speedwork sessions to save time in the morning. I've found a nice way of rewarding myself on the way home after a hard day at the track. I like to open all the windows and turn the A/C all the way up for the drive home. The A/C is blowing cold air in my face and the wind is whipping in the windows and it just feels awesome.

(I wonder if kids today even know why we call it "rolling" the window down.)

Sometimes, you have to find joy in the little things in life.

Friday
Goal For The Day: Bannister Repeats
Distance: 3.50 Miles.
Time: 6 x 400m. (1:17, 1:15, 1:14, 1:14, 1:15, 1:16). 2 minute breaks.
Route: Eureka H.S. Track
Conditions: 85 degrees/humid. 7:15AM.

Notes: Goal was 1:15 each. I was running a little behind this morning and didn't feel like doing today's workout. I guess it was a good week to feel inspired. I took the first interval too easy and hoped I would magically be on pace... I wasn't. Picked it up through the middle 4 intervals. #6 was pretty sad.

Daily Miles: 3.50 Miles.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 124.22 Miles.
  Bike - 67.68 Miles.
  Swim - 4,450+ meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment