Friday, July 1, 2011

Hot and Bothered

Friday means the end of the work week but it also means Bannister Repeats. I got to the track at 7am and it was already 77 degrees and ridiculously humid outside. The forecast for the day predicted a high of 96 degrees with the heat index topping 105. I'm not a fan of the heat and would Love to have every training run feel like a Spring day. So today, I think I let the idea of the heat get to me.


I psyched myself out before I even started the workout and my first interval was a little slow because I was taking it too easy. I relaxed a little after that and most of the workout went well. I was definitely feeling the effects of the heat and humidity by the end though.

It's been a while since I've run intervals on a day this hot and humid. I had forgotten how bittersweet the breaks between intervals become.

When I'm running the intervals, I have a nice breeze that keeps the sweat evaporating and helps cool me off. But my legs burn and it's hard to breathe.

When I stop between intervals, I get a break to rest and catch my breath. But I immediately start to drown in my own sweat. Starting the next interval eventually becomes a welcoming experience because I'll get to cool off again.

It's a vicious cycle.

Friday
Goal For The Day: Bannister Repeats
Distance: 3.75 Miles.
Time: 7 x 400m. (1:15 each). 2 minute breaks.
Route: Eureka H.S. Track
Conditions: 77 degrees/VERY humid. 7:00AM.

Notes: 1 Mile warm-up. 7 x 400m (1:18, 1:14, 1:15, 1:14, 1:13, 1:14, 1:14). 1 Mile cool-down. Goal was 1:15 each with 2 minute breaks. Took the first interval too easy. The first four intervals felt good. #6 seems to be where I start to struggle for some reason. Only 7 intervals today. I'll do 5 next week as part of my taper. My goal of 10 every week is definitely something I'll have to work up to.

Daily Miles: 3.75 Miles.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 57.64 Miles.
  Bike - 30.11 Miles.
  Swim - 2, 700 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment