Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Little Things

I've already said that the little things in life are important. Taking a cold shower after a hot run, taking a hot shower after a cold run, taking a post-run nap on the floor, driving with the air conditioner on and the windows down... the little things help make running fun.

The little things can also make for a tough day. Today's workout was pretty rough but not because of any major problems. It was a few little things that came together to make for a tough morning. I struggled with a combination of a cut on my foot, feeling fatigued, and dealing with last night's dinner.


The Cut: I cut my foot somehow over the weekend. It's kind of on the underside of my big toe's 'knuckle' and it's a tiny little cut that I don't even feel most of the day. But after I've run for a while, that tiny little cut starts to sting and it's developed a small blister that's even more of a nuisance. I feel like it affects my stride more than a sore muscle would.

Fatigue: I was feeling a little tired this morning but my legs were where I noticed the fatigue the most today. I think going straight into the week's training without a day off after my Long Run caught up with me today. I've done this in training before and I usually run through it, but today was one of those days the fatigue makes itself known. I wasn't exhausted by any means... just annoyingly tired.

The Food: Liz and I took Mom and Rick to the Cardinals game last night. It was a good game and we brought home a winner! A hot dog, nachos, and peanuts don't make for the best training fuel though. I didn't give it much thought until I started my workout and I realized I probably should have taken a bathroom break before I left the house. I wasn't at risk of a Code Brown, but I was feeling sluggish and heavy.

Each of these things would be fine by itself, but the combination made for a 'bad day'. Some days feel unusually good and effortless. Some days just feel rough.

Wednesday
Goal For The Day: Speedwork.
Distance: 5.00 Miles.
Time: 6 x 800m (2:49, 2:44, 2:46, 2:46, 2:49, 2:47) 2:45 breaks.
Route: Eureka H.S. Track.
Conditions: 81 degrees/humid. 7:15AM.

Notes: 1 Mile warm-up, 6 x 800m. 1 Mile cool-down. Goal was 2:45 each. Felt tired and sluggish. Wasn't breathing well. Inhaled a bug on #4 and choked a little. Was looking forward to a slightly slower pace after last week's 400's. Just didn't feel right today.

Daily Miles: 5.00 Miles.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 148.84 Miles.
  Bike - 67.68 Miles.
  Swim - 4,450+ meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment