Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Multi-Multi-Sport

This is my Recovery Week before my Peak Week. The plan for this week is to run 6-8 miles for my Middle Distance today and Thursday, run Hill Repeats tomorrow, run some Bannister Repeats Friday, and run a time trial half marathon on Sunday. Then it's one final week of peak mileage before three weeks of sweet, sweet, tapering.

I went by Fleet Feet to try on a pair of Nike Free Run 2's. My pair is last year's model and they're still fine for everyday running, but they've developed that 'old shoe' funky smell and I could use a shiny new pair for the marathon. I always keep two pairs of running shoes... a newer pair for most of my day-to-day running, and an older pair for rainy days when the shoes are more likely to take a beating. My 'old' pair (Nike Zoom Elites) has been in the rotation for a long time and running the Millstadt Biathlon in the rain might have been the end of them. So now I want a new pair of Nike Free Runs and my current pair will move into the 'old pair' spot in the rotation.

Unfortunately, Nike continues it's tradition of changing a shoe every year, regardless of how perfect the shoe might be. Luckily, the new Nike Free Runs seemed to fit basically the same as the pair I have. I Love these shoes! So now the big question will be whether I can find a pair in my size with colors I can live with.
(Nike Free Run)
(Nike Free Run 2)

Running shoes tend to be ugly. The shoe companies like to make them flashy and make the shoes in bold, sometimes odd, colors. I don't mind wearing a pair of brightly colored shoes, but I can only go so far. And I can't wear black running shoes. For some reason, it makes my feet feel heavy. So, I'm looking for a light-colored pair that I can start breaking in before the race. The Free Runs don't take much breaking in because they're made to be so flexible, but I still need to put some miles on them. I'll probably do some shoe hunting this weekend!

After my quick shoe fitting, I drove to the gym and went for a run. I ran the Soccer Park Loop again but ran the opposite direction around the loop this time. On my first run of this loop, I learned that a lot of the roads are one way and running in this new direction let me face traffic through the entire run.

The Cardinals were playing game 3 of a tied 5-game series this afternoon so I took my iPod and tuned it to the radio to listen to the game. How's that for multi-sport? Listening to the baseball game while running before a swim!

I ran 6 miles and my legs still feel heavy from Sunday's run, but they loosened up a bit after the first mile and my watch reported a faster pace than I expected. I took it easy and enjoyed the ballgame... there was no real 'push' in my step. Somehow, I was still averaging 7:20's though.

After my run, I went in and met Liz for my first swim in a few weeks. I could tell I was out of practice and we swam longer intervals than usual so I was feeling a little awkward in the water. It felt good to give my upper body a workout though and it was nice to mix up my training a little.

Unfortunately, we finished up at the gym just in time to hear the Cardinals fall short of a comeback and lose 3-2. Now they need to win two straight to move on. Come on, Cards!

Tuesday
Goal For The Day: Middle Distance.
Distance: 6.04 Miles.
Time: 44:17. 7:20 Avg. (7:31, 7:16, 7:08, 7:17, 7:12, 7:30, 0:19*).
Route: Soccer Park Loop.
Conditions: 68 degrees. 5:15pm.

Goal For The Day: Swim.
Distance: 1,000 meters. (500, 300, 200).
Location: Fenton Rec Center Indoor Pool.

Notes: I'm trying to balance my urge to keep the pace in the 6:40's with the need for easier runs this week to recover before next week's mileage. Listening to the game helped keep me at a relaxed pace. Still feeling surprisingly good after Sunday. Normally, I'm sore (especially my calves) after my 20-mile run. Hopefully, that's a good sign.

Daily Miles: 6.04 Miles.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 407.46 Miles.
  Bike - 144.45 Miles.
  Swim - 11,050+ meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment