Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Stop, Stretch, And Roll

My Peak Week got off to a rough start this morning.

I set out on a 10-mile run and was careful to take the first mile nice and easy to practice going out slower at the beginning of a long run. When I picked up the pace, I realized I had not done enough stretching since the half marathon on Sunday morning. My left quad felt tight and sore and it affected my stride quite a bit. I felt like I was running stiff-legged.

(It feels like #2 hurts.)

I was hoping it would loosen up as I went but it was still bothering me several miles later so I slowed down and took the rest of the run easy. When I switched from short, quick strides to long, slower strides it seemed to help.

I want to keep practicing at a sub-7 pace during these last few weeks of training but sometimes pushing too hard on a rough day only makes things worse. I would rather slow down today and have quality workouts the rest of the week than push it today and make the rest of the week worse.

The last 2-3 miles were more of a relaxed morning run than a training run. The last mile was about as relaxed as it gets. It was a nice morning for an easy run, it just wasn't what I had in mind when I got up this morning.

After work, I met Liz for our Tuesday swim. Even though the pool is indoors, the water was cold today. It made us reluctant to get in, but it was a good swim. I felt like I was breathing easier this week than last week. Like Liz pointed out, today was the first time in a long time that I didn't run right before the swim so that probably helped.

I'll hit the foam roller tonight and try to work out some of the problems in my quad. Hills for breakfast tomorrow!

Tuesday
Goal For The Day: Middle Distance.
Distance: 10.17 Miles.
Time: 1:13:03. 7:11 Avg. (7:25, 6:36, 6:47, 6:50, 6:47, 7:09, 7:01, 7:18, 7:34, 7:58, 1:34*).
Route: To Rte 66/2 Laps/Home.
Conditions: 59 degrees. 7:15am.

Goal For The Day: Swim
Distance: 1,000 meters (400, 400, 200).
Location: Fenton Rec Center Indoor Pool. 6:15pm.

Notes: I tried to massage that muscle throughout the day. It's pretty angry right now. Nothing too unusual. Just sore. It'll be fine in a day or two. I just have to get through this week and then all those little aches and pains will get a chance to heal. I saw a blue jay and two bright red cardinals on today's run... awesome!

Daily Miles: 10.17 Miles run. 1,000 meter swim.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 448.23 Miles.
  Bike - 144.45 Miles.
  Swim - 12,050+ meters.

2 comments:

  1. Ibuprofen 800mg with food will help that ache. Don't be shy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way ahead of you doc! I figured your advice for my back still applied. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete