Monday, October 17, 2011

Gear Check - Amphipod ArmPod SmartView

I bought a new armband to carry my Flip camera on my runs. I played with a few different options at Fleet Feet before settling on the Amphipod ArmPod SmartView.


The ArmPod is designed for phones and fits my cell phone well but it also holds my Flip camera perfectly. It can actually hold both at the same time but it's a tight squeeze and it wouldn't be easy to take either one out of the Pod while I'm running.




There's also a padded inner pouch that can fit a key or credit card so they're kept separate from your phone or camera and nothing gets scratched.


I'm used to wearing my iPod on an armband so I didn't have to adjust to wearing something on my arm but I wasn't sure if this armband would take some getting used to since it's bigger than what I usually wear. Fortunately, it's surprisingly comfortable and I forgot about it quickly.

I was able to keep my Flip camera with me for my entire 22-mile run yesterday and the case never bothered me. I'm excited to have my camera with me on more of my runs and I can use the ArmPod for my cell phone on long runs if I want.

I'm also excited to have my Flip camera with me at the ING NYC Marathon. I'll be able to record some of the excitement before and after the race. I'll also have it with me if there's anything I really want to record during the marathon but I'm not sure how much I'll actually use it during the race. I had fun recording some of my favorite running spots around Eureka but I also learned how impractical it might be to use the Flip during this marathon because of my time goal. It's definitely a distraction to unzip the ArmPod and start up the Flip to record something. Plus, if I record things as I run by, the picture is bouncy and not as fun to watch later. But I won't want to stop and record things while trying to run a personal best time.

So this ArmPod and my Flip camera will be a lot of fun for other marathons and on daily runs, but I probably won't get the camera out too often while I'm running in NYC. I'll just have to remember what I see along the course and write about it here!

Monday
Goal For The Day: Rest
Distance: 0.00 Miles.

Notes: Taking yesterday slower must have paid off because I feel really good today. If I didn't know I ran that far yesterday, I wouldn't have guessed it based on how my legs feel. I think using the foam roller after the run helped a lot too. Hopefully, this will make it easier to bounce back and get into some great taper runs.

Daily Miles: 0.00 Miles.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 480.51 Miles.
  Bike - 144.45 Miles.
  Swim - 12,050+ meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment