Wednesday, October 12, 2011

From Hills To Bridges

For the most part, the elevation profile for the New York Marathon isn't that intimidating. It looks mostly flat with some small, rolling hills. The only time it looks like I'll be facing any significant inclines is when I'm crossing bridges. From what I can tell, I'll have four bridges to cross so I'm continuing with one set of Hill Repeats a week to prepare.

The bridges on the course:

(Verrazano-Narrows Bridge)

(Pulaski Bridge)

(Queensboro Bridge)

(Willis Avenue Bridge)

This morning I ran up Top Notch 8 times and it was the best hill workout I've done in a long time. My leg didn't bother me at all and I felt strong. I was able to charge the hill much faster than the past couple of weeks without straining too much.

Even though today felt good, I know it'll also take a toll on my legs. But that's the point of the week, isn't it?

Wednesday
Goal For The Day: Hill Repeats.
Distance: 4.09 Miles.
Time: 36:18. 8:53 Avg. (8:00, 8:49, 9:27, 9:14, 0:46*)
Route: 8 x Top Notch Repeats.
Conditions: 62 degrees. 7:45am.

Notes: This is a different kind of running than what I did yesterday. It's possible my quad still needs some recovery time. It's also possible that Sunday's hills made it sore in the first place and today's hills will tighten it up again. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Daily Miles: 4.09 Miles.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 452.32 Miles.
  Bike - 144.45 Miles.
  Swim - 12,050+ meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment