Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Short Long Run Gets Me To 400 Miles.

I couldn't have asked for a more relaxing final long run for my training.

It's supposed to be in the mid-to-upper 90's today and tomorrow but even at 78 degrees, this morning's run felt pretty comfortable. I didn't push the pace too hard and there was a very nice breeze keeping me cool so I cruised through two laps around the Lake.


The first lap was very consistent right under 7 minutes per mile and then I eased off for the last couple of miles. I'm supposed to be tapering, after all. I Love running down here. Catching glimpses of the Lake during the loop and then running across the dam... it doesn't get much better.

Today was also a test run for a new piece of gear. I had to buy some more duct tape for my boat yesterday and while I was in the hardware section, I saw a stand full of sunglasses that claimed to "block out dust, wind, and allergens". They have a strip of foam padding around the frames that basically keep them in contact with your face. They were only $10 so I grabbed a pair hoping they would help eliminate the painful sting of sweat in my eyes that I get on really hot days.



These things worked like a charm! They aren't the coolest looking sunglasses and it took me a little while to get used to them touching my face, but I didn't get a single drop of sweat in my eyes! If it's this hot next weekend, I'm definitely wearing them during the half marathon.

Saturday
Goal For The Day: Long Run.
Distance: 6.32 Miles.
Time: 46:36. 7:22 Avg. (6:56, 6:58, 7:17, 7:15, 7:49, 7:49, 2:28*).
Route: 2 x Lake Loop.
Conditions: 78 degrees. 9:26AM.
Run Details On Garmin

Notes: It's nice when my 'long run' is only 6 miles! Tomorrow is the big boat race. I'll probably count rowing my boat as a workout so I have an excuse to take the day off from running! I'll pick it up again on Monday.

Daily Miles: 6.32 Miles.
2012 Totals:
  Run - 403.40 Miles.
  Bike - 0.00 Miles.
  Swim - 8,250 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment