Friday, May 4, 2012

Making Tracks

I'm still new to running in my FiveFingers and today I was literally getting my feet wet.

(My FiveFingers Footprint.)

It's been hot and humid this week and this morning there were storm clouds hovering over Eureka. Most of the actual storm was off to the east so I drove to Berry Park for a quick jog to the track and a short set of sprints.

(At Berry Park.)

When I got to the field that leads to the track, I could clearly see two sets of footprints that some kids left on their walk to school. Apparently, there was a lot of dew on the grass this morning and every step I took left a very clear footprint. By the time I crossed the field and started jogging around the infield of the track, my toes were wet.

(This was an oddly cool view in person.)

I try to take very good care of my shoes because it's one of the only big expenses of this pastime. I was hoping to avoid pavement and rain in my FiveFingers for a while... to avoid wearing down the treads, to avoid pain in my feet from the pavement, and to avoid smelly shoe funk. Even though only a few raindrops fell this morning, my shoes definitely got damp. Surprisingly, it didn't bother me much. I know a lot of people use FiveFingers in the water and for boating and I can see why. They were just as comfortable while wet and they dried out very quickly. Good to know!

I ran the same workout as last Friday... a half-mile jog to warm up... 8 x 100 meter sprints at full speed... and a half-mile jog to cool down. As if sprinting nearly-barefoot in the grass weren't enough, the stormy weather made it even more fun to run this morning.

Liz and I have a busy day planned for tomorrow but I might try to get up early to do a long run. Normally, I do my long runs on Sundays, but the Hospital Hill Half is on a Saturday. Plus, if I decide to run the speedwork again on Monday night, I'll have that extra day of recovery on Sunday before hitting the track. Then again, I do enjoy sleeping in.

Friday
Goal For The Day: Speedwork.
Distance: 1.50 Miles.
Time: Untimed.
Route: Eureka H.S. Track.
Conditions: 70 degrees and humid. 7:30AM.

Notes: I wonder if I'll be as tired and sore tomorrow as I was after last week's FiveFingers run. Hopefully, I'm getting in better shape and getting more used to sprint workouts.

Daily Miles: 1.50 Miles.
2012 Totals:
  Run - 318.17 Miles.
  Bike - 0.00 Miles.
  Swim - 7,450 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment