Sunday, May 6, 2012

Not Acclimated

Today, I planned to get in the Long Run that I ended up shortening last week. I wanted to run 8-10 miles this morning and figured I could just go late enough in the morning that I could cut the grass when I got back without waking the neighbors too early on a Sunday. My plan to leave later in the morning meant I didn't successfully beat the heat.

I left the house around 8:45 and it was already hot and crazy humid. The first three miles were fine because there was an occasional breeze, but when I got into Route 66 State Park, the air was dead. The park is nice and flat, but today it was like running in a sauna and I'm definitely not acclimated to the heat and humidity yet.

(This guy ran an 'underwater marathon' for wounded troops.
His name is Brad and the guy who wrote the article is named Brad.
And my name is Brad and this is what it felt like running outside today.)

Each mile was slightly slower than the one before it. Then as I was leaving the park, I stopped to give someone directions to get back to the highway. I also realized I really had to pee so I went into the brick oven that they call a restroom in Kircher Park. When I started running again, I was drenched in sweat and even less motivated to worry about my pace.

Thankfully, there was more of a breeze when I got back into the hills of town but I still took it easy. In fact, I pretty much jogged the last mile as a cool-down. When I hit 8 miles even, I was still about a quarter of a mile from home so I stopped and walked the rest of the way to cool down some more before going back in the house.

I downed some Gatorade and towelled off before cutting the grass. By the time I was finished, I was feeling pretty wiped out. I should have taken a nap because I felt drained the rest of the day.

On the bright side, I put on my new compression sleeves when I finally sat down for lunch and they felt amazing!!! I think I'll get a lot of use out of them!

Sunday
Goal For The Day: Long Run.
Distance: 8.01 Miles.
Time: 1:00:29. 7:33 Avg. (6:55, 6:56, 6:57, 7:21, 7:30, 7:48, 7:50, 9:01, 0:07*).
Route: To Rte. 66/1 Lap/Home
Conditions: 78 degrees and humid. 8:42AM.
Run Details On Garmin

Notes: Today was a good reminder that Hospital Hill could be a hot one. Most of my marathons and halves have been cold-weather runs. I realized I was imagining a cold morning for Hospital Hill. That isn't very likely for the first week of June.

Daily Miles: 8.01 Miles.
2012 Totals:
  Run - 326.18 Miles.
  Bike - 0.00 Miles.
  Swim - 7,450 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment