Thursday, September 15, 2011

I Passed 300 Miles The Otter Day

I stopped at exactly 10 miles on Tuesday's run so I could compare it to today's run even though I ran a different course. I ran the Allenton Loop and then into Old Town Eureka Tuesday. Today, I ran down to Route 66, did a couple of laps and then came home.

Talk about consistency! Tuesday's 10 miles were in 1:11:08 averaging 7:07 per mile. Today, I ran 10 miles in 1:11:35 averaging 7:09 per mile. Hardly a difference between the two runs even though the courses were very different and I had a Hill workout on the day in between.

If anything, today's run was more of a 'consistent' run than Tuesday's. My miles stayed closer to the average throughout today's run while I had a couple of very fast and a couple of pretty slow miles during Tuesday's run.

All of this is reassuring and I'm on track for where I want to be but the most interesting thing about today's run was that I experienced another 'first'. While I was running in Route 66 State Park, I spotted an otter on the road. It was about halfway across the road in the park and turned to run into the woods when it saw me. I don't think I've ever seen an otter in Missouri before. There's a creek that runs right by where I saw the little guy and the Meramec River is on the other side of the park, so I guess there's plenty of otter-friendly territory around. I've just never seen one before.

It reminded me of when Dan and Stephanie got married at a hunting lodge in Illinois. They had an abundance of stuffed animals around the lodge and my favorite was an elaborate display with two otters so I posed for a picture. Little did I know I would see an otter in the wild less than a month later!


Thursday
Goal For The Day: Middle Distance.
Distance: 10.00 Miles.
Time: 1:11:35. 7:09 Avg. (7:42, 7:02, 7:06, 6:51, 7:01, 7:05, 7:03, 7:12, 7:01, 7:26).
Route: To Route 66/2 Laps/Home.
Conditions: 45 degrees. 7:00AM.

Notes: Chilly this morning! I ran in just shorts Tuesday and needed long sleeves and a stocking cap this morning. It would have been great marathon weather today! Passed the 300-Mile mark for the blog... they're adding up fast!

Daily Miles: 10.00 Miles.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 308.90 Miles.
  Bike - 122.45 Miles.
  Swim - 10,050+ meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment