Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tread 'n' Water

New York is the long-term goal, but Liz and I are also training for a triathlon that's coming up in July. As of today, we're officially registered for the New Town triathlon on July 10th!

In 2009, we did a sprint triathlon that started with a pool swim. The New Town tri is a much longer race and the swim is in open water so it's a whole new challenge. We'll be swimming 1,000 meters, riding 20 miles, and running 4 miles. Liz set up a training plan and I'm tagging along for the rides and swims. Tuesdays we head to the Rec Center for a swim and I've been going straight from work to get in a few miles on the treadmill before meeting Liz for the swim.











I'm not a big fan of running indoors and I really don't like running on the treadmill. But the indoor track at the Rec Center is 9.5 laps for 1 mile and I can't keep count that well. And the treadmill at least helps with pacing goals. I just get tired faster on the treadmill. Partly because I get bored and partly because I always feel so hot and sweaty. There's no air movement to help keep you cool. Gyms should invest in LOTS of fans and crank up the AC! I got in 4 miles and ran negative splits but it felt harder than the same workout that I ran last week.
When Liz got to the gym we went to the indoor pool for our swim. We swam a 950 meter ladder workout. Liz TOTALLY swam faster than me today. My run might have taken something out of me, but she's really a stronger swimmer and looks really smooth the whole time where I feel like I get sloppy when I get tired. We're getting plenty of good swims in at the pool but our opportunities to practice in open water are limited. We're hoping to get some practice in at the Lake over the 4th of July.

Tuesday
Goal For The Day #1: Middle Distance
Distance: 4.00 Miles.
Time: 28:27. 7:06 avg. (7:30, 7:13, 6:58, 6:44)
Route: Fenton Rec Center Treadmill
Conditions: Indoors and stuffy.

Goal For The Day #2: Lap Swim
Distance: 950 meters. (150, 200, 250, 200, 150)
Location: Fenton Rec Center Indoor Pool

Notes: The run was fine but not as effortless as last week. Drenched in sweat. Gross. A quick shower and then to the pool with Liz. Breathing wasn't as smooth as it could be in the water. Liz led more than her share of the intervals because she was swimming faster and I didn't want to hold her up. She said she was feeling good and it showed! She's doing awesome in the water!

Daily Miles: 4.00 Miles
Daily Swim: 950 meters
Blog Totals:
  Run - 17.50 Miles
  Swim - 950 meters

No comments:

Post a Comment