Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Breathing Easier

Here's how my schedule is set up for now:

Mondays - Rest or Brick Workout with Liz
Tuesdays - Middle Distance and Swim
Wednesdays - Speed Work
Thursdays - Middle Distance
Fridays - Speed Work
Saturdays - Rest or Cross Training
Sundays - Long Run

Today was Wednesday so it was time for some speed work. For now, I've decided to follow a speed work schedule created by Fleet Feet Sports. Fleet Feet is a local running store and they put on free speedwork sessions every summer. They're a great set of stores with knowledgable and friendly staff and I try to buy my shoes and gear from them when I can. They sponsor a lot of races around St. Louis and do a lot to promote running and healthy living. I'm a big fan!


The schedule is designed to improve your VO2Max which I understand to mean, it improves your ability to consume and process oxygen. This is an important key to improving endurance and overall athletic performance and the science behind VO2Max makes perfect sense to me. I don't understand how to design a speedwork schedule specifically designed to affect your VO2Max (it's all speedwork to me), so I'll go with the schedule created by people smarter than me. Here's an article that I found helpful for explaining VO2Max in terms I can understand:
So today's workout called for 6 x 800m repeats. I can feel my body processing oxygen more efficiently already!

Wednesday
Goal For The Day: Speed Work
Distance: 5.00 Miles.
Time: 6 x 800m (2:56, 2:54, 2:55, 2:55, 2:56, 2:53)
Route: Eureka H.S. Track
Conditions: 72 degrees/breezy! 7:00AM.

Notes: 1 Mile warm-up. 6 x 800m. 1 Mile cool-down. The goal was to run the 800's at 3k pace (5:52 per mile). So each 800m was supposed to be in 2:56. Still pretty consistent on the pacing. I'm amazed how little thought I have to put into the pacing changes. My first 'guess' is usually pretty accurate at this point.

Getting up for a morning workout after doing an evening workout the day before is tough! But today felt relatively easy after last week's 400's and with today's cooler weather.
 
Daily Miles: 5.00 Miles
Blog Totals:
  Run - 22.50 Miles
  Swim - 950 meters

No comments:

Post a Comment