Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Natural Order of Things

The triathlon is set up so you complete the events in order from most, to least dangerous. On the swim, you're physically exerting yourself in an environment that makes it difficult to breathe. Stopping to rest is not an easy task in the water. And it's the only part of the triathlon in which you're likely to get punched and kicked mercilessly.

After the swim, you hop on the bike. Breathing is easier but you're now suspended on two thin tires and taking a spill is likely to hurt more than if you trip on your run.

And finally, you finish up with a nice, safe run to the finish. (Assuming you can still move your legs.)

Today was a great reminder of how nice this order of events is. Tuesday is our 'Swim' day so it was off to the Fenton Rec Center again. I went straight from work and got in my 4 Miles on the treadmill before meeting Liz for the swim.

This is the third week in a row that I've run before hitting the pool and I've realized that it just plain makes swimming harder. I'm for sure slower on these days and my arms just feel semi-useless in the water. At least I was breathing comfortably today, but my lower body was sinking and I was slapping my way down the lane feeling sluggish.

I feel good about getting both workouts in tonight, but I'm very thankful that we'll be starting with the swim on Race Day!

Tuesday
Goal For The Day #1: Middle Distance
Distance: 4.00 Miles.
Time: 27:26. 6:51 Avg. (7:13, 6:58, 6:44, 6:31)
Route: Fenton Rec Center Treadmill
Conditions: Sweaty. Blah.

Goal For The Day #2: Swim
Distance: 750 meters. (3 x 250)
Location: Fenton Rec Center Indoor Pool.

Notes: Negative splits on the run and at a better pace. Felt really good! Breathing was smooth and easy in the pool today but my arms were tired and my butt kept wanting to sink. Felt slow after my run.

Daily Miles: 4.00 Miles.
Daily Swim: 750 meters.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 44.89 Miles.
  Bike - 30.11 Miles.
  Swim - 2,700 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment