Monday, June 27, 2011

Brick by Brick

The triathlon is less than two weeks away so we're in the tapering portion of Liz's training schedule. I'm mixing my marathon training with the tri training so I won't taper as much until later next week. But today called for a brick workout. Basically, a brick workout is any workout in tri training that involves the combination of two activities. Liz and I generally refer to bricks as a bike followed by a run.

Today's goal was a 38 minute bike ride followed by a 20 minute run. We've been doing a lot of training around Eureka which is riddled with hills but our race course for this particular tri is going to be pretty flat. So we loaded up the bikes and made the short drive to Route 66 State Park to do today's brick on flat land.

The temperature was in the low 80's but it was SUPER humid so I was sweating before I even got the bikes off of the car. It was one of those nights where the air just feels wet.

Even with the nasty humidity, this week's brick was a huge improvement over our brick from two weeks ago. The flat course helped, but Liz is getting much faster as her training progresses.

I'll probably talk more about this later, but sometimes the best thing about gutting out a hard workout is when you get to stop. After a refreshing shower, relaxing on the couch in our air conditioned house felt SWEET!

Monday
Goal For The Day: Brick Workout
Distance: Bike- 8.38 Miles. Run - 2.17 Miles.
Time: Bike - 38:07. 13.2 mph avg. Run - 20:03. 9:14 avg.
Route: Laps around Route 66 State Park.
Conditions: 82 degrees/SUPER humid. 6:20PM.

Notes: Two weeks ago: 8.53M Bike, 45:58, 11.1 mph avg. Today: 8.38M Bike, 38:07, 13.2 mph avg. Feeling good about the tri in a couple of weeks!

Daily Miles: Bike - 8.38 Miles. Run - 2.17 Miles
Blog Totals:
  Run - 40.89 Miles.
  Bike - 30.11 Miles.
  Swim - 1,950 meters.

4 comments:

  1. Your blog is kinda stupid and won't let me sign in with my google account. All the other blogspot blogs I can comment just fine, but yours is giving me trouble! Keeps telling me my password is wrong even though it's NOT. Anyway, it's fun following your journey on here even though I live with you and get to follow your journey in real life too :). I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, and I think most people generally refer to bricks as bike/run even though you are correct that technically it's just a double workout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't mean to tell you that your blog is stupid. Your blog is awesome! Your blog is acting stupid about letting me log-in the way I want to so I can comment. I went back and read my first comment and it sounded like I was a terrible wife!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I don't know what's going on with the comments. It won't let me sign in with google either. I'll try to figure it out. I knew what you meant though. You never sound like a terrible wife!

    ReplyDelete