Friday, August 26, 2011

Long Time, No Bannister

It's been a while since I've visited Mr. Bannister and his pesky 400's. With yesterday's positive experience, I was a little worried that today would put a premature end to my up-swing. These 400m repeats are at the fastest pace I run during my training and I didn't know if pushing the tempo that much was going to cause problems with my back. Even if my back held up, 400's always hold the potential to be a miserable experience.

(Sir Roger Bannister)

Luckily, the workout went well and it's shaping up to be a good end to the week! I took and easy run to and from the track again but there seems to be plenty of room in the parking lot if I'm ever pressed for time and need to drive. For once, my watch actually reported the exact same distance in both directions.

I could tell my sense of pace was a little off but after the first interval, I locked in again pretty well. My stride is usually different when I run on the track for some reason. The length of my stride is all over the place and I go from over-striding at a slower turnover rate to quick, short strides at a faster turnover. Today, I tried to keep a more natural stride and it really seemed to help. Instead of trying to sprint, I tried to think of it as a normal run... just at a quicker pace. I felt a lot more comfortable and it seemed to take less effort than the other Bannister workouts I've run.

I hope to get up to 10 Bannister Repeats on Fridays but after such a long hiatus, I dropped back to 6 intervals for today. I'll work my way up to 10. I'm considering a 5k for tomorrow morning so keeping today at 6 intervals is probably a good idea anyway.

The streak is still alive. Feeling good!

Friday
Goal For The Day: Bannister Repeats.
Distance: 6.18 Miles.
Time: 6 x 400m. (1:17, 1:14, 1:15, 1:15, 1:15, 1:14)
Route: Eureka H.S. Track.
Conditions: 72 degrees. 7:15AM.

Notes: 2.34 Miles to the track. 6 x 400m. 2.34 Miles home. Not as cool out as yesterday, but still pretty nice. Wearing a shirt the whole time makes for a wet shirt on the jog home... nipples are a little tender.

Daily Miles: 6.18 Miles.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 219.61 Miles.
  Bike - 98.53 Miles.
  Swim - 8,150+ meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment