Thursday, August 11, 2011

False Taper

My back feels pretty good again today but I definitely notice some soreness if I slouch for too long at work. All of those lectures I heard growing up about how bad posture will ruin my back someday... I should have listened!

I work late on Thursdays and I didn't get up early enough to get to the gym so no workout today. I'm hoping for a bike ride or swim tomorrow and then a test run sometime this weekend.

All of this time off from running has been like tapering before the marathon. Those last few weeks when I cut back on my mileage leave me feeling unusually energetic. I can feel how rested my legs are and I'm getting 'the itch' to get out and run off some of this pent up energy. I feel like a rubber band that has been pulled back and is just overflowing with potential energy. I just want to lace up my shoes and fly.

At this point in my training, I should be slowly wearing myself out. I want to start every run feeling not quite 100% so I can get used to running tired. I want to get used to pushing through fatigue. Then I can taper for real and show up on Race Day feeling like a new man.

(The signal for "False Start". Also the signal for "Mmmm, Yummy".)

This early, self-imposed taper feels like a false start. I'm ready to get back into it.

Thursday
Goal For The Day: Amended to a Rest Day.
Distance: 0.00 Miles.

Notes: Scheduled my annual physical with my PCP for next Tuesday. Hopefully, he'll write a prescription for PT so I can get a second opinion from the Sports and Physical Therapist on Thursday. Tired of writing the same old stuff about my back. Ready to get back to writing the same old stuff about my training.

Daily Miles: 0.00 Miles.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 160.84 Miles.
  Bike - 96.80 Miles.
  Swim - 7,200+ meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment