Saturday, April 21, 2012

Two Gomers: Season 5

I've talked about the Two Gomers several times and they're getting ready to start the fifth season of their podcast. This season's goal is to run the Red, White, and Boom Half Marathon in Minneapolis, Minnesota on the 4th of July.


I always look forward to the Gomers' podcast. They're entertaining and it has been fun to follow them as they progress as runners because it reminds me of my own journey and development. Recently, there has been a shift in that dynamic for me though. For four seasons, I've been very focused on these two guys (Anthony and Steven) and their development as relatively new runners. Listening to their experiences was like looking back on my own learning curve as a runner. Now, they're spending more time talking about some aspects of running that are foreign to me... running as a parent.

Anthony and his wife are the proud new parents of a baby girl! It has been fun to listen to him talk about how a baby has changed his life as a whole and how it is impacting his exercise and running routine. Steven has been a father for years and it has also been fun to learn from his experience and to hear him give advice to Anthony.

These guys started their running adventures together a few years ago. Their timeline as runners has always been the same. And as a runner, my timeline was much longer than theirs. But now, from the parenting perspective, everything is shifted. Steven is the seasoned pro. Anthony is getting his feet wet. And Liz and I are still waiting to get started.

Today I set up some schedules for the Gomers and their abbreviated preparations for the half marathon. That was my contribution as the more experienced runner. Now I'm looking forward to the next 10 weeks of podcasts and learning from them as the more experienced parents! I'm interested to see how well they are able to stick to whatever schedules they settle on. I know how difficult it is to train consistently without kids, so I'll be curious to see how much of an adjustment it is for Anthony and what kind of advice Steven has to offer.

If you get a chance to check them out from the beginning (Two Gomers Run A Half Marathon) or to start listening in now, I highly recommend the podcast. You can find them on iTunes (Two Gomers Run For Their Lives) or at their website http://www.twogomers.com/.

Saturday
Goal For The Day: Rest.
Distance: 0.00 Miles.

Notes: A day off today. I'm jumping back into full-time running but don't want to overdo it. Spent the day working on grown-up responsibilities... yard work, shopping, babysitting. Busy day!

Daily Miles: 0.00 Miles.
2012 Totals:
  Run - 272.28 Miles.
  Bike - 0.00 Miles.
  Swim - 6,550 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment