Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia Seeds

I took the day off today. It's my last super-long day of work and class. Finals are next week!

Even with the day off and no training to report, I thought I would write a quick post about an experiment I conducted this morning. I've had a container of chia seeds in the pantry for months and today I finally tried them.


I first read about chia seeds and their nutritional value in the book, Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. Apparently, chia seeds are a good source of protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. If there's one thing I don't monitor strictly, it's my diet. So I like adding in something especially healthy every now and then and the idea of eating the stuff you spread on a Chia Pet was too fun to pass up.

For my first experience with chia seeds, I just added a partial scoop of the seeds to instant oatmeal (cinnamon something). I tossed in a sprinkle of sugar and breakfast was served.

I was not impressed.

I don't know if it was mostly mental... or if instant oatmeal doesn't gel well with chia seeds... or if the seeds actually changed the taste of the oatmeal. But I didn't like it that much. Granted, instant oatmeal isn't a delicacy to begin with, but it tasted a little... off. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good.

So, I'll have to do some experimenting and then dedicate a full post to what works and doesn't work with chia seeds. I've heard you can just add them to a glass of water, bake them in bread and muffins, add them to yogurt, etc. Now that the container is open, I'll do some research for tasty ways to eat them. Google is so handy!

Wednesday
Goal For The Day: Rest.
Distance: 0.00 Miles.

Notes: I'm looking forward to having Wednesday nights back and it will be perfect timing because I'll be more prepared for the extra day of running by then.

Daily Miles: 0.00 Miles.
2012 Totals:
  Run - 287.46 Miles.
  Bike - 0.00 Miles.
  Swim - 7,450 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment