Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sore And Slow

One of the benefits of using FiveFingers is they strengthen your calves, feet, and other stabilizing muscles. The down side? You make yourself sore in places you're not used to being sore.

Most of my training runs leave me feeling tired but rarely am I very sore. Today I'm both. I only ran 1/2 mile of sprints yesterday but I'm definitely feeling it today. Between using different form while sprinting at top speed and using my muscles differently because of the shoes, yesterday's short workout was enough to leave me aching a little today. But it's that good kind of ache... not really  painful... just enough to let you know you worked hard.

To work some of the stiffness out, I ran easier today. I still ran a hilly course, but I took my time on it and didn't push the pace. Just some easy middle-distance to loosen things up. I thought I would run about 4 miles, but I didn't have a specific route in mind when I left the house so by the time I was finished wandering around town, I ran closer to 5. My pace was surprisingly consistent throughout the run even though the first couple of miles were more stiff. By mile 3, I felt pretty relaxed.

I made it home right before some nasty storms rolled in. There were parts of St. Louis hit with baseball-sized hail and possible tornadoes. Luckily, the worst of it missed Eureka and I was home before the torrential downpour hit town.

(A tent near Busch Stadium collapsed injury dozens of people. One person died.)

(A sample of some hail damage in St. Louis.)

Saturday
Goal For The Day: Easy Run.
Distance: 4.73 Miles.
Time: 35:43. 7:33 Avg. (7:36, 7:14, 7:34, 7:35, 5:42*).
Route: Cul-de-Sac Ext/Deep Vally Loop.
Conditions: 69 degrees. 5:02PM.
Run Details On Garmin

Notes: Spent most of the day registering for baby stuff. An easy run helped with the overwhelmed feeling and loosened up some sore muscles. Got home just before some nasty storms and just in time for a great dinner with friends!

Daily Miles: 4.73 Miles.
2012 Totals:
  Run - 298.20 Miles.
  Bike - 0.00 Miles.
  Swim - 7,450 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment