Friday, April 20, 2012

Technical Difficulties

Well, that didn't go as planned.

I'm already not a fan of running early in the morning. But when the temperature is in the 40's at 7AM and in the 60's or 70's by the afternoon, I'm always tempted to put off my run until I get home from work. There was a little rain moving through this morning and the thought of warm, dry, running was too tempting so I waited until after work to go for a 4-mile run.

Unfortunately, that morning rain was a result of the cold front that passed through town. It was actually 55 degrees at 7AM and only 50 degrees by 6PM when I went for my run. Even though it was colder, I could live with a 5-degree loss if it meant a stress-relieving end-of-the-work-week run.

Then, about a mile and a half into the run, I paused my Garmin while I waited at an intersection and it wouldn't start up again. It was completely frozen. It wouldn't restart. It wouldn't change modes. I couldn't even turn it off. I finished the run and I just ran this exact route a little over a week ago, so I know the distance but I don't have any time or pace info.


After a little searching on the Garmin website, I was able to turn my watch off and it seems to be working fine. But my relaxing run turned into a colder-than-planned, frozen-watch, no-tracking-data run. They were minor setbacks but not they definitely changed the feel of today's run.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Friday
Goal For The Day: Middle Distance.
Distance: 3.91 Miles.
Time: ?
Route: Old Town Eureka Loop w/ Cul-de-Sac Extension.
Conditions: 50 degrees. 6:03PM.
Run Details On Garmin

Notes: I had limited data on my watch from before it froze. The map of my run makes it look like I literally flew home after 1.58 miles. The info I have: 1.58 Miles in 11:06. First mile was in 7:06 with an Avg pace of 7:03 for 1.58 Miles.

Daily Miles: 3.91 Miles.
2012 Totals:
  Run - 272.28 Miles.
  Bike - 0.00 Miles.
  Swim - 6,550 Miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment