Sunday, December 25, 2011

I'll Just Have To Keep Dreaming

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas... but this year it's not meant to be.

It's been a great Christmas already. We had a brief gift exchange with my family Friday and have spent the rest of the weekend with Liz's family in Kansas City. I Love all of this time with family and continuing family traditions. Unfortunately, the weather isn't contributing to the Christmas atmosphere. It's much too warm and there's no snow to be found this year.

I decided to make the best of it and took advantage of some downtime this afternoon to go for a Christmas Day run. It wasn't cold enough for snow today but it was still chilly. Even with the cold breeze, I was sweating after only a mile and my Christmas beard felt very out of place.

I ran on the trail that runs near the Risches' house and went out about 3 miles before turning to head back. I was feeling a little too disappointed in the weather... it was a nice day for a run after all... but then I got a pleasant surprise. In a shady part of the path, there was a patch of ice that somehow hadn't melted.

I have no idea how it managed to survive the temperatures nearing the 50's, but it was like a Christmas miracle! I know it's ridiculous, but I'm counting this as my white Christmas!


A little farther down the path, I ran past a pond that was partially frozen and I let myself imagine I wasn't running in shorts and a t-shirt on Christmas... in my mind, I was bundled up with frost in my beard and the snow was just about to start falling.


I could have easily gone the entire day without seeing any snow or ice but today's run saved the day!

Merry Christmas!!!

Sunday
Goal For The Day: Christmas Run!
Distance: 6.01 Miles.
Time: 42:50. 7:08 Avg. (7:21, 7:13, 7:12, 7:08, 6:40, 7:11, 0:03*).
Route: Bike Path in Overland Park, KS.
Conditions: 48 degrees. 1:30PM.

Notes: I got some great running-related gear for Christmas. I'll have to post about it soon.

Daily Miles: 6.01 Miles.
Blog Totals:
  Run - 623.06 Miles.
  Bike - 144.45 Miles.
  Swim - 14,350+ meters.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'm ready for the post about your cool new running gear! Have you said goodbye to the beard?

    ReplyDelete