Sunday, January 13, 2013

Don't Sell Yourself Short

There was a baby shower for one of my coworkers this past Thursday. As with most work parties, it was a potluck event and everyone had an assortment of snacks on their plates. Every time this happens, I get at least one comment about my ability to eat what I want because I run so much. But lately, I've noticed that a lot of the people that make those comments are just as active, if not more active than I am.

Thursday, two coworkers were talking about what we were eating and their frustration with exercise. One guy is currently running more frequently than I am and even moved his treadmill into his living room for extra motivation. Another girl regularly goes for 6-mile runs. But because I have a reputation as 'a runner', they assume that I do more than them. So today's lesson:

Don't Sell Yourself Short!

It reminds me of all the people that need to be convinced it's okay to call themselves runners. So many people think there's some arbitrary amount of running or accomplishments you have to achieve before you can be called a runner.

If you like to run... If you run every now and then... If you do a mix of running/jogging/walking... All of the above... It's okay to call yourself a runner. Give yourself credit. Pat yourself on the back. Embrace it!

Okay... Off my soap box and on with the post:
After yesterday's run, I saw this guy making his way across the sidewalk:



I wonder if he felt like he was going fast. Or if he compares his times to other slugs. Maybe he was setting a PR for crossing the sidewalk. I hope he was at least heading someplace warm because it was a lot colder this morning as predicted.

My plan for today's run was to repeat last week's run of the Kircher Park Trail Loop but I decided to tack on a lap around Route 66 State Park. It was a cold morning but my stride was feeling more comfortable so I just went with it.

I was doing fine until I stopped to admire some Cardinals in the park. I got my phone out of my armband to take pictures but the birds weren't cooperating and after several minutes, I gave up. Apparently, I stopped just long enough to cool off and for my sweat to get cold. As soon as I started running again, I turned a corner in the park and ran straight into a headwind. I was freezing! The last half of the run was a much colder experience than the first half!

Sunday
Goal For The Day: Long Run.
Distance: 7.61 Miles.
Time: 57:54. 7:37 Avg. (7:37, 7:29, 7:25, 7:27, 7:24, 7:29, 8:01, 4:59*).
Route: Kircher Park Trail To Rte. 66/1 Lap/Home.
Conditions: 25 degrees. 11:38AM.
Run Details On Garmin
Run Detais On Nike+

Notes: Two weeks of getting back into the routine. 15.35 Miles this week. Nike+ tidbit: 0.36M more and 0:15/M faster than the average of my last 7 runs. Nike+ Weekly Review: 5.1M Avg. 7:41/M Avg. 2,278 Calories.

Daily Miles: 7.61 Miles.
2013 Totals:
  Run - 28.54 Miles.
  Bike - 0.00 Miles.
  Swim - 0.00 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment